Mac-N-Cheese Please
Got Mac-N-Cheese? Alicia @ Welcome to My Planet and New Jersey Mom's Blog does. She's written about the trials of choosing that cheap and easy staple over a healthy, well-prepared, organic meal for their kids in her blogpost, Confessions of a Culinarily Challenged Mom.
Mr. Busypants eats more than his fair share of mac-n-cheese. He's loved and hated it his whole life. I say love/hate because he eats food in cycles. He'll eat one food obsessively and daily for six months straight, then he'll completely hate it and thus abandon it as a food he no longer likes.
I first noticed this occurance when he was 19 months old. One minute he was eating mac-n-cheese, and the next, he wouldn't touch the stuff. At one point, he was back on, but would only eat Auntie Annie's organic brand. Later he switched and will only eat Kraft.
For a while there, Kraft was great, but only if it wasn't "different." And God only knows what different meant because I sure couldn't figure it out. It got so bad that I would measure water to boil, cook the noodles for exactly seven minutes, and measure the milk and butter to ensure it would be the same every time.
Of course, it wasn't. Sometimes, it was still "Diiiiffffffferentttttt!"
In addition, under no circumstances were we allowed to re-heat and serve mac-n-cheese to the little king. That was also too "different." So I was reduced to dividing each 74 cent box of mac-n-cheese evenly and cooking them one serving at a time. It was a bone of contention in my marriage as my husband would ask: "Is there some reason why you're making an entire box of mac-in-cheese when you're going to throw the rest away?" He was right, it was a waste, but some days that extra step seemed monumental. Others, he was happy to eat his son's leftovers.
Lately Mr. Busypants has loosened up. Not wanting to see his sister get all the leftovers, he is now open to reheated mac-n-cheese. And since she'd gnaw your arm off if there wasn't anything else to dig on, I predict that the brand, cooking method, reheating controversy will be lost on little Miss Chattyshoes.
The irony of this post as that my two kiddos have just polished off a box of mac-n-cheese that I started making when I started writing this post. They've moved on to Oreos, but at least they're drinking milk.






7 comments:
this is such a relevant post. i don't know how many moms have picky eaters who still manage to be picky about Kraft mac-n-cheese, one of the only foods they'll eat! Anna eats a lot more than m-n-c, but she up until very, very recently wouldn't eat the leftovers either. Now if I heat it and our a little milk in, wait a few minutes, and call her down to lunch, I can get her to eat it.
When they are young kids can be very finicky. Mine is 13 now but whatever I could get home to eat I was happy!!! And it consisted mainly of a diet of mac n cheese and chicken nuggets. I really like your site. I too am raising a son in the autism spectrum and am also in the process of writing a book!
We do Kraft only, and my kids can eat a whole box between them as well. Crazy, huh? I remember when Ryan and I used to split a box...back in the day. Have you seen the new microwaveable kind that is single serving? I'm sure this would be different as well, but it sure is easy to make and it's exactly 1 serving. Nice!
Oh Joy, if only those single-serving packages weren't DIFFERENT. I'd be so happy. He won't eat those either. Nice try, though. Mr. Busypants is too smart for that ole trick.
I'm so with you here!
Hows it going!! I know what you mean about being late with checking the blogs..& here i am LATE!
OK what is with that 3D baby on my page? CR-E-E-PY hu? So i added another one and it just floats, it makes me nauseous when i watch it...I cant win here.
This is so great!!! Thanks for the link luv re. my Mac and Cheese post. Ah, long live mac n' cheese. How did mothers on the big frontier live WITHOUT it????
My 3 youngest eat the cheapy mac and cheese, but CB (my 14 y.o. with Autism) will ONLY eat the expensive Stouffer's mac n' cheese. Nothing else will do. She aint about the cheap stuff. She's got quite the sophisticated palate... save the chipped beef and gravy also be stouffer's that smells and looks soooo nasty but it is the necter of the GODS to her... bleck...
thanks again for the "shout out" - im so honored :)
I guess this is what I have to look forward to in motherhood, eh? I don't know what's in that powder, but I know it's not just for kids....when I was a starving college student it was a culinary staple.
Another entertaining post, Jeannie!! Loved reading this.
Post a Comment